Back to Home
My Musical Genesis...
Paul Shumsky - Biography
- B. M. in Jazz Guitar Performance, New England Conservatory, 1978
- Additional studies at Berklee College in Music Synthesis and Songwriting, 1987-'88
- Eastman School of Music, Jazz Studies ('75-'77)
- Jazz guitar studies with Mick Goodrick, Barry Galbraith, Charlie Banacos, Gene Bertoncini, Chuck Wayne
- Species counterpoint, composition and piano studies with Dr. Avram David 1981-1990, Craig Najjar, Sonny Kompanek
- Additional guitar/jazz studies with Jacki Byard, Jim Scott, Chuck Mangione, Brett Wilmott, Tom Rizzo, Robert Paul Sulllivan, Alan Hager
- Voice studies with Mark Baxter, Jan Shapiro, Pearl Layton
- U Mass Dartmouth ('92-'98)
- South Shore Conservatory ('79-'99)
- Najjar School ('94-'97)
- Northeastern University Summer Program ('86-'87)
- Private instructor at various private secondary schools ('74-'99)
- Private studio instruction ('73-present)
- Currently performing with The Jazz Circle Duo at Gabrielles Restaurant, featuring Matt McCauley on acoustic bass
- Currently performing trance-organic-dance with John Sprague's Dancing Worlds with drummer/percussionist Bob Weiner
- Over 700 shows with Boston-based worldbeat band Wildest Dreams, from Maine to Aruba 1989-2000
- Leader: solo, duet and small group jazz performances throughout New England at private and corporate functions, clubs and coffeehouses.
- Shows: A Chorus Line, Evita, West Side Story, Three Penny Opera, Seven Deadly Sins, The Berlin Requiem, Jacques Brel is Alive and Well, Man of LaMancha, The Rink, performances with the American Repertory Theatre, National Theatre Guild, concerts with the Harvard Wind Ensemble
- Freelance sideman: jazz, blues, pop, country swing, dixieland (on tenor banjo) and folk styles
- TV and live radio: Paul Shumsky Trio, Mark Kross Duo, Phil Wilson, Bo Winiker Swing Orchestra, Wildest Dreams, Gunther Schuller, Dancing Worlds
- "Wildest Dreams: One Voice!", "Peace Planet"
- Mohamed Kalifa Kamara "Africa Unite"
- "The Bo Winiker Swing Orchestra" Golden Crest Records
- "Three Hundred Years of Country Fiddle Music" Gunther Schuller, Columbia Records
- "Happy Feet! A Tribute to Paul Whiteman"The NEC Jazz Repertory Orchestra featuring Joe Venuti, directed by Gunther Schuller, Golden Crest Records. Check out the clip to My Blue Heaven. You can hear part of my tenor banjo solo on the tail end...
- Wendy Frank and HumanNature